Wednesday 22 August 2012

Cuba Shopping

If your vacations are all about looking for bargains on brand items...or even knock-off's...don't go to Cuba.  From the point of view of a decadent capitalist consumer, there's really not much to buy here.

Cuba has a few iconic things going for it.  See how the budding entrepreneurs try to capitalize on them.    

VIntage cars.

Old architecture.

Salsa music.  I did get tired of Guantanamera and Quizas, Quizas, Quizas as it seemed like all the musicians serenading you (while you eat) only had these two song in their repertoires...but I did buy a set of 5 CDs of Cuban music greats for 20 CUC (my biggest purchase!) and the contents went beyond my expectations!

Ernest Hemingway and his rum-drinking habits!   "My mojito in La Bodeguita, My daiquiri in El Floridita."  was what he said.  So, if you are a Hemingway fan (or if you like rum!) you have to make a pilgrimage to these two places. 

Somehow, La Bodeguita was the one that got featured in most of the paintings I saw.  This one, bought for 4 CUC.

I didn't go to either place.  I had my mojitos and daiquiris elsewhere.

...like here in Dos Hermanos.

Established 1894.


...and guess who's on the wall.  Ernest and Fidel, buddy-buddy!  I thought the other gentleman might have been Al Capone (because he was reputed to frequent the place as well) but it turned out to be Alejo Carpentier, a famous Cuban writer.  (Google image search works!)

And if you are a Che Guevarra fan, you'll be in heaven.  He's everywhere!  ...although it looks like there's only one photograph ever taken of him.


...his writings too.

...and even on buildings! (In fairness, there is another building with Castro's image on it too.)

He is also on the three-peso bill...not the CUC but the real Cuban money. The person on the one-peso bill is Jose Marti, the national hero.

And last but certainly not least, a trip to Cuba is not complete without los habanos--the Cuban cigar.


(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment