Tuesday 15 July 2014

Side Trip: Chinatown Manila

After touring Intramuros, we crossed the Pasig River and headed to Binondo, Manila's Chinatown.


How many vegetables do you recognize? :-)


Mangosteen...the queen of fruit.  We bought some. (1 kg = 100 pesos...or about $2.50!)


This is what the fruit looks like inside.  It is super yummy.  I had to stop my 8-year old from eating too much! 



Anyway, lunch was at the Wai Ying Fast Food restaurant (810 Benavidez St., Binondo Manila), a hole-in-the-wall.  Simple, down-to-earth...and bustling!


Our friends were not wrong to bring us here!  The food was terribly good. (I allow myself an oxymoron from time to time. he! he!)


Although I am a big fan of the Japanese ramen, the beef mami --beef brisket noodle soup also hit the spot...and at 120 pesos ($3), it was a steal!!!


Other things on the menu that must not be missed were the siomai dumplings, ...


...the fried spring rolls (vaguely visible in photo...sorry!)....and the iced milk tea Hong Kong style!


The food brought back memories...of my childhood and of my time living in Hong Kong.  I was quite happy to have been able to share the meal with my children.  It is like sharing a part of my past with them...complete with my very dear friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment