Wednesday 7 May 2014

Downtown Toronto and Ramen

I am very grateful to an old friend who took the time to show me around downtown Toronto last Sunday afternoon.


I've almost forgotten what a big-city downtown was like.


No offense to downtown Halifax...but the corner of Dundas and Yonge was teeming with people!


Lots of things happening at Dundas Square -- Toronto's answer to Times Square! :-)


This group was protesting and creating awareness about the plight of the poor kidnapped girls in Nigeria. :-(  


Yes, there are streetcars on the streets of Toronto!  According to Wikipedia, the Toronto Streetcar System "is the largest such system in the Americas in terms of ridership, number of cars, and track length."  Who knew?  I always thought San Francisco was tops in the streetcar department.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_streetcar_system)


Bay St. -- Toronto's answer to Wall St.  No, I didn't go around the bank offices begging for a job.  It was a Sunday and they were closed.  :-)


So what does one eat in downtown Toronto?  My request: ramen!  There were quite a few authentic ones apparently and my friend dutifully took me to one...a place called Raijin.


A thunderous chorus of "Irasshaimase!" from the friendly Japanese staff welcomed us in. OK, so I exaggerated a bit! :-)  "Raijin" means "god of thunder". There was a beautiful wooden sculpture inside. Sorry Marvel fans, it's not Thor.


Tonkotsu (pork bone soup).  Kakuni (braised pork belly).  Oishikatta (yum!) :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment