Sunday 9 June 2013

ByWard Market, Ottawa

If I were a local, one of my favourite places in the city would probably be the ByWard Market.

Lots of fun little shops here.  No big boxes.  Down-to-earth.  

A fruit store, a fromagerie, a boulangerie, an Indian café...

...a meat shop, sushi, a fish shop....and lots more!

And what's a market without fresh vegetables?

...and more vegetables!

...and flowers...

...and more flowers!

I had one shot at a meal in Ottawa...and it was hard to choose which restaurant would do me the honour.  The choice boiled down to Chinese noodle soup or Moroccan couscous.  This display case won me over.

...and so Casablanca was it.  A cozy little Moroccan restaurant.

A generous platter of swordfish and couscous...plus all the veggies--bell pepper, chick peas, broccoli, pumpkin, carrots, potatoes...in exotic sauce for $12.95.

Topped off with a slice of baklava ($2) and a cup of Moroccan coffee ($3) ...a strong brew with ground cinnamon and maybe a few other spices.  So, I splurged a bit. :-)

I would like to go back one day with more time and better weather!

The last word...overheard at the Booster Juice stand at the airport. The lady chatted with her colleague as she was preparing my drink: "Don't you just hate it when you feel very sick but don't know what's causing it?  That's how I feel right now..."  Then, she handed me my Tahiti Squeeze.  Lovely...



No comments:

Post a Comment