Saturday 18 May 2013

Shop Log: Rest In Peace


Shop's Log.  Halifax NS.  May 18th, Saturday, 16:17.  Weather: Overcast, 7℃.

A regular customer came by the shop today.  I hadn't seen her in quite a while so I was happy to see her.  I also knew that her husband had been in the hospital but was "recovering"...the last time we heard.  So I asked how he was doing.

"Oh, he passed away. Funeral's next week." she said, a bit too casually...and I knew she was putting on her brave face.  I was dumbstruck and I heard myself utter automatic words of regret.  I really wanted to know what had happened and how she was coping...but I knew it was not my place.  And I honoured her courage at this difficult time by not dwelling on it.  But my throat was constricting.

Her husband was a very dear and sweet man.  He was 90+ years old.  He would walk up and down the street for his exercise.  He would drop by the shop to buy a little something for his wife in a very conspiratorial way.  He loved to surprise her.  He loved her dearly.  He would always ask me, "If she doesn't like it, can I return it?"  ...and I always said, "Sure!"  But not one item was ever returned.  I will miss him.

I light a stick of incense and offer a silent prayer.  May you rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment