Thursday 16 May 2013

Shop Log: Thank You, Mr. Passerby


Shop's Log.  Halifax NS.  May 11th, Saturday, 19:45.  Weather: Clear, 12℃.

I had been debating whether to write about this trivial occurrence...but recent events favouring the Dark Side made me think that every little bit of sparkle would help tip the balance back.  A law office that's a few blocks from our shop was broken into the same night as this journal entry.  Some weeks ago, the Petro-Canada station around the corner got robbed by a 16-year old!  ....and a couple of shoplifters recently came to regale us with their presence too. So you see, there's enough incidents going around to slowly make one lose faith in people...IF we let them!

So, here is my story.  I was closing shop.  I went outside to bring in our sandwich board.  My lower back was bothering me again so I must have been moving a bit awkwardly.  A young man was passing by...our eyes met for half a second...and he was gone, or so I thought.  As I struggled with the sandwich board (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit...I wasn't *that* helpless!), the passerby did a double-take, turned around and came at me.  I am ashamed to admit that my initial reaction was defensive...like I was expecting something bad to happen next.  But in fact, he came back to hold the door open for me as I lugged the sandwich board inside!  Service with a smile too!

Guess my spidey sense was on the blink.  That small act of kindness did more than help me get that sign indoors.  It reminded me that all was not lost.  There are more good people around us than we think!  


No comments:

Post a Comment