Monday 12 November 2012

Bedford Developments

It was such a surprisingly balm autumn afternoon...17℃ and sunny in the middle of November, can you believe that?...that I took a walk around Bedford.  Bedford South to be precise.  Lots of construction going on there.

It was a boring walk.  I'll tell you why.  Strip malls.

One more planned here...

And the big sprawl anchored by Sobeys+Lawtons.

I am no urban planner and there may be sound economic reasons for this kind of development design.  But why are they building strip mall after strip mall in the area?

An homage to the automobile?  ...appropriately located near the new Larry Uteck exit off Hwy 102.

Drive-thru coffee.  Why else would you have a coffee shop in the middle of a parking lot?

Drive-thru banking...  Do people really loathe to get out of their cars that much?


You've seen one, you've seen them all.  

Definitely not made with pedestrians in mind...notwithstanding the many condominiums under construction plus residential neighbourhoods nearby.  I walked, didn't I?  But this bit of sidewalk paint tells me at least the person on foot has not been completely forgotten! :-)


Well, at least one strip mall is getting it right...in my opinion.  

Southgate Village has at least some unique restaurants. 

Something we wouldn't find in a strip mall in Truro or Amherst.  OK, granted Coffee Culture is a chain store...but this one here is the only one in Nova Scotia!

Anyway, as I've said.  I am not an urban planning expert.  But please, please... don't let the Bedford waterfront turn into another strip mall!

This blog post was supposed to just show what a beautiful day it  was today...and it turned into a little whine session! 

No comments:

Post a Comment