Saturday 22 September 2012

Shop Log: Somebody's Bad Day

Shop's Log.  Halifax NS.  September 23rd, Saturday, 14:23.  Weather: Cloudy, almost foggy, 19℃.

Damn, I feel so inadequate and ill-equipped!  A customer walked in and bought some chocolate truffles.  With a sort of faraway look, she sighed, "I need these.  I'm having a bad day..."  I kept quiet.  Maybe I should have asked what's wrong...but I didn't.  Maybe I was afraid I wouldn't know how to react to what she might say next.  Last time I had been in a similar situation, somebody had told me point-blank, "My wife has cancer." ...and I hadn't known what else to say next except a lame I'm-so-sorry-to-hear-that.  So this time I kept quiet....and that was that.  I tell myself maybe she didn't want to talk about it anyway...  But maybe she did.  Bartenders probably get into this kind of situations a lot.  Should I go on an educational trip and get a drink tonight?


No comments:

Post a Comment