Sunday 14 October 2012

Midnight Snack


Shop's Log.  Halifax NS.  October 13th, Saturday, 23:46.  Weather: Clear and crispy, 4℃.

It is that one night in the year when I stay at the shop till midnight...the night of Nocturne--that great Halifax event where the downtown core turns into one big art show. (http://nocturnehalifax.ca/)  Our shop is an ikebana gallery tonight.  It has been a busy night and time has passed very quickly...but the last 15 minutes...I know this is going to be a test in endurance.  Tired.  Sleepy.  Hungry.  Add lumbar pain... I am just about ready for bed except for the hungry part.

Then the door opens.  My last visitor turns out to be the familiar face of one my wife's student's friend.  He already came by earlier...a second visit?  He strides in holding out a brown paper bag towards me.  "You've been here all day and night and we thought you must be hungry by now."  And just like the will-o'-the-wisp, he is gone with my thank-you's still hot on his trail.   

As MasterCard would say: "Priceless."  Thank you SL & XJW!

No comments:

Post a Comment